“A tavola non si invecchia”. - Italian proverb (At the table with good friends and family you do not become old).

Sharing authentic Italian recipes entrusted upon me through the privilege of being invited into many Italian homes and kitchen’s abroad. I travel, cook, eat, share, learn and photograph my experiences, a truly soul enriching journey. There are now over 100 recipes on this blog to search from. I am a Melbourne born girl who now resides in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sharing my love for food and all things Italian with you. I am not a professionally trained chef, just a person that really loves cooking and has made my passion my reality! Through talent and drive I now work as a private chef in some of the most prestigious private villa`s here in Tuscany, Italy!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pizza Margherita

“Here we are at last. The Italian proverb says “See Naples and die” but I say, see Naples and live; for there seems a great deal worth living for.” 
― Arthur John Strutt
This pizza is fit for Royalty, literally!  Queen Margherita of Italy was presented this pizza to resemble the colours of the Italian flag (red, white, and green) in 1889.  I had been travelling around Italy for several weeks eating all types of pizza, and then I tried the Margherita pizza in Naples.  I think it became my staple diet for the next few days of my visit.  What more could you want for one euro a slice ($1.50AUS) than the perfect blend of the sweetest tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, peppery basil and a thin crispy base.  This recipe really calls for the best quality ingredients to make it truly mouthwatering.  I think one thing that Italians can nationally agree on is the ingredients for the Pizza Margherita!  
       

What you need:
Basic dough recipe (refer to pizza dough recipe)
One ball of buffalo mozzarella (this should be floating in liquid)
One tin of Italian tomatoes PURED (or use passato sauce)
One handful of fresh basil
Extra virgin Italian olive oil
Salt for seasoning
How to make:
1: Generously cover an oven tray with olive oil
2: Roll out the pizza dough to fit your oven tray, no thicker than 3mm thick and place in tray
3:  Spread a thin layer of pureed tomatoes on base with the back of a spoon in a circular motion, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt
4:  Cook in a well pre heated oven for about 10 minutes at 220 degrees until almost cooked
5:  Remove pizza from oven and add mozzarella slices, cook for a further 2 minuets until cheese has just melted
6:  Again drizzle with a little oil (tip, add one smashed clove of garlic to some olive oil for some extra flavour)
7:  Finish with basil
Pizzeria da Michele, Naples. Italy!
Buon Apetito





No comments:

Post a Comment