“A tavola non si invecchia”. - Italian proverb (At the table with good friends and family you do not become old).

Sharing authentic Italian recipes entrusted upon me through the privilege of being invited into many Italian homes and kitchen’s abroad. I travel, cook, eat, share, learn and photograph my experiences, a truly soul enriching journey. There are now over 100 recipes on this blog to search from. I am a Melbourne born girl who now resides in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sharing my love for food and all things Italian with you. I am not a professionally trained chef, just a person that really loves cooking and has made my passion my reality! Through talent and drive I now work as a private chef in some of the most prestigious private villa`s here in Tuscany, Italy!

Friday, August 17, 2012

Acini di pepe in brodo (pasta in broth)

This one is perfect for combating the sniffles that seem to be prevalent during these cold winter months. Making this soup actually reminds me of making it for a friend last year in Italy as he was suffering from a severe case of 'man flu'. He requested it on a cold blistery day, but it had to be just as his Mamma makes it. It is the same concept as 'tortellini in brodo' (refer to recipe), but the tortellini is replaced with the cutest little balls of pasta called 'acini di pepe' which translates to peppercorns. As mentioned in my post for tortellini in brodo, it is common in the south of Italy to add freshly squeezed lemon juice and chili flakes. I think it also works perfectly in this instance. A concept my Tuscan friends initially found bizarre, but have embraced. I think for the purpose of fighting a cold, the chili helps clear the nose and the lemon add freshness. Of course, no matter what region you are from in Italy it is would be sacrilegious not to add freshly grated parmesan. A bowl of this humbling soup will have you feeling better in no time. 
What you need:
one cup of acini di pepe 78 (available from delicatessen's)
one litre of homemade vegetable or chicken stock
sprinkling of freshly grated parmesan
optional:
lemon
chill flakes
How to make:
1:  Make home-made vegetable or chicken broth (refer to my broth recipe)
2: Bring one litre of broth to the boil, add 1/2- 1 cup of pasta (depending on if you prefer more pasta or broth). I add about 3/4 of a cup
3: Cook with a lid on for about 10 minuets, according to directions on the packet of pasta
4: Serve immediately, squeeze some lemon juice, chili flakes and grate parmesan
In Verona, Italy during Winter

No comments:

Post a Comment