“A tavola non si invecchia”. - Italian proverb (At the table with good friends and family you do not become old).

Sharing authentic Italian recipes entrusted upon me through the privilege of being invited into many Italian homes and kitchen’s abroad. I travel, cook, eat, share, learn and photograph my experiences, a truly soul enriching journey. There are now over 100 recipes on this blog to search from. I am a Melbourne born girl who now resides in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sharing my love for food and all things Italian with you. I am not a professionally trained chef, just a person that really loves cooking and has made my passion my reality! Through talent and drive I now work as a private chef in some of the most prestigious private villa`s here in Tuscany, Italy!

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Brodo di pollo (chicken broth)

There is nothing that compares to making your own homemade stocks(whether it be meat, chicken or vegetable).  The flavour is unlike the powdered supermarket variety and so much more rewarding in making and flavour (not to mention healthier).  It is also a more economical way as you can reserve and use the bones from leftover chicken and meat carcases.  If you do not need to use the stock immediately just freeze.  Use the stock to add flavour to soups, roasts and risotto etc.  One of the most common uses for broth in Italy is "tortellini in brodo", one of my favourite comfort foods. I always find it amazing that the stock always starts clear, then results in a rich yellow hue. Today I felt a little luxurious and made my stock from a fresh organic chicken, resulting in a remarkable flavour.
What you need (use whatever herbs are available):
carcass of one chicken (add everything, bones, fat, skin etc)
two carrots quartered
two celery sticks cut
two onions quartered
two sprigs of fresh rosemary
two garlic cloves
a few sprigs of thyme
handful of fresh sage
handful of black peppercorns
pinch of sea salt
How to make:
Simply add all of the ingredients together with about two litres of water, bring to the boil than simmer for about one hour.  Skim any fat that sits at the top of the broth, then strain the broth through a fine sieve.
bowl of tortellini in brodo

No comments:

Post a Comment