“A tavola non si invecchia”. - Italian proverb (At the table with good friends and family you do not become old).

Sharing authentic Italian recipes entrusted upon me through the privilege of being invited into many Italian homes and kitchen’s abroad. I travel, cook, eat, share, learn and photograph my experiences, a truly soul enriching journey. There are now over 100 recipes on this blog to search from. I am a Melbourne born girl who now resides in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sharing my love for food and all things Italian with you. I am not a professionally trained chef, just a person that really loves cooking and has made my passion my reality! Through talent and drive I now work as a private chef in some of the most prestigious private villa`s here in Tuscany, Italy!

Sunday, April 14, 2019

Slow cooked roast lamb- L'angello arrosto

Ah roast lamb, but not just any ole roast lamb. It's show stopping nine hour slow roasted fall off the bone roast lamb. In fact the best roast lamb ever, but minimal fuss required. Truthfully I am not typically the one to cook Easter lunch, as I have always been invited to friend's houses over the last several years whilst living in Italy, where lamb has always played a starring role. Probably one of my most notable memories was a family who had a dedicated room for frying, and lamb cutlets were no exception. Last year was my first year back here in Melbourne, and I cooked this beauty. That's how slow I am with my blog posts these days. However, as Easter 2019 is broaching, I thought I should share my fool proof recipe for you.
The tradition of eating lamb at Easter dates before the birth of Christianity.  To discus the history of religion and it's connection to lamb I would have to start another blog. However Christian's refer to Jesus as the "Lamb of God", so it is not surprising that lamb plays an important part as part of Easter celebrations. On a less symbolic note, in Europe centuries ago, lamb would have been one of the only fresh meats available after a cold and long winter.
The best thing about this recipe is that you literally place everything in the pan and pretty much leave it in the oven, allowing the wine and lamb to get acquainted. I guarantee that the bone literally falls out, and no carving is required. Allowing you to concentrate on more important things on Easter Day, family. Buona Pasqua xxx 

What you need:
One large leg of lamb, about 3 kilo's (mine was 3.6 kilo's)
Four onions, peeled and quartered
One garlic bulb, whole bulb sliced in half
Four carrots, peel and cut in half lengthways 
400ml white wine
200ml beef stock (homemade)
Handful of rosemary sprigs 
Extra vigin olive oil
Salt and pepper
What to do:
Remember that this recipe takes about 7-9 HOURS to cook (depending on the size of the lamb).
1: Preheat oven to 120 degrees C.
2: Place a large baking pan on the stove top and heat. Brown all sides of the lamb in the pan using a little olive oil. If you do not brown the lamb at this stage, the meat will remain a pale colour.
3: Once browned, add ALL of the ingredients to the large pan with the lamb, placing the ingredients evenly around the lamb. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
4: Tightly cover the pan with aluminium foil (or even better if your pan has a tight sealed lid).
5: Place in the oven and cook for about 7-9 hours depending on the size of your lamb. The lamb needs to be turned only twice during the cooking process, make sure when you turn the lamb that you cover it in it's own juices, recover and return to the oven until it literally falls of the bone.
6: The lamb is ready when the bone can literally removed with thongs, it really does just fall out.
7: Serve immediately with your favourite side dishes. It is nice to serve the lamb on a large plater with the vegetable pieces soaked in the  juices and presented with some fresh sprigs of rosemary. Drizzle over some of the remains pan juices. Enjoy
#pasqua #lamb #angello #arrosto #buonadomenica 

No comments:

Post a Comment