“A tavola non si invecchia”. - Italian proverb (At the table with good friends and family you do not become old).

Sharing authentic Italian recipes entrusted upon me through the privilege of being invited into many Italian homes and kitchen’s abroad. I travel, cook, eat, share, learn and photograph my experiences, a truly soul enriching journey. There are now over 100 recipes on this blog to search from. I am a Melbourne born girl who now resides in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sharing my love for food and all things Italian with you. I am not a professionally trained chef, just a person that really loves cooking and has made my passion my reality! Through talent and drive I now work as a private chef in some of the most prestigious private villa`s here in Tuscany, Italy!

Sunday, December 23, 2012

arrosto di pollo al forno- roast chicken in the oven

You will have your guests clucking for this chook. A few simple fresh ingredients and you are on your way to a chicken loaded with flavour.  Flavours from the Mederteranian. In fact when I cooked this chicken recently, my friend questioned my heritage suggesting that I must have Italian roots!
Italian's from North to South will be spending Christmas eve around the dining room table feasting on various seafood dishes (know as the 'vigilia di Natale'). However on Christmas day for lunch the meat makes a grand entrance. Typically a large leg of lamb slow cooked in the oven. Also typically pasta is served as a first course in Italy such as lasagne or cannelloni. However I want to cook something a little lighter as I will be hosting a Christmas dinner. My Italian friends will be arriving at my house after already feasting with their families. I thought a roast chicken to be the perfect meat of choice, especially in the way that I prepare it. Packed with herbie goodness and a lemony zing!
What you need:
One organic chicken (mine was 1.2 kilos)
One bulb of garlic
One lemon
three sprigs of rosemanry
handful fresh sage leaves
a few sprigs of fresh tyhme
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and cracked black pepper
How to make:
1: Wash and pat dry the chicken.
2: In a blender place all of the herbs, lemon juice, 3-4 garlic gloves, and olive oil. Reserve on sprig of rosemary.
3: Place the remaining garlic in the cavity also the lemon halves
4: Run your hand between the skin and flesh of the chicken, gently lifting the skin. Stuff under the skin the herb mix, trying to reach every surface, then also rub mixture on the outer surface of the chicken. Then top with salt and cracked pepper. Use a rosemary sprig to close the chicken cavity
5: Place on a oven tray with roast potatoes and cook for roughly one hour in a pre-heated 180 degree oven. Do not be tempted to baste the chicken during the roasting process, this will keep the chicken crispy. The chicken is ready when the juices run clear. Cut the chicken into pieces, serve and drizzle the pan juices over
My Christmas table

No comments:

Post a Comment