“A tavola non si invecchia”. - Italian proverb (At the table with good friends and family you do not become old).

Sharing authentic Italian recipes entrusted upon me through the privilege of being invited into many Italian homes and kitchen’s abroad. I travel, cook, eat, share, learn and photograph my experiences, a truly soul enriching journey. There are now over 100 recipes on this blog to search from. I am a Melbourne born girl who now resides in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sharing my love for food and all things Italian with you. I am not a professionally trained chef, just a person that really loves cooking and has made my passion my reality! Through talent and drive I now work as a private chef in some of the most prestigious private villa`s here in Tuscany, Italy!

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Ravioli di zucca con burro e salvia- pumpkin ravioli with butter & sage

I was inspired to make this dish today as we are now heading toward the winter months in Italy and pumpkin's are starting to appear locally.  The only time consuming part of this is making the pasta, but is well worth the small amount of effort to make it, as it is really delicious.  It is also fun if you can assemble the pasta with friends, a nice way share in conversation.  This dish is from the Emilia-Romagna region in the North of Italy.  I received the ultimate compliment from a satisfied guest when she said my ravioli were just like her Grandmother used to make them.
For the filling:
100g crushed amaretti biscuits (to resemble fine bread crumbs)
100g parmigiano reggiano
600g Pumpkin
1/2 tspn freshly grated nutmeg
Pepper and Salt to taste

For the pasta dough:
4 cups of flour (buy "000' tipo)
4 eggs
Pinch of salt

For the sauce:
300g butter
Hand full fresh sage leaves
I smashed garlic (not minced)

Olive oil and sage leaves, fried to top ravioli

Grana Padana cheese for the top!!!
 First to make the dough, get a large glass bowl and sift the flour and salt.  Make a well in the middle of the flour.  Add the eggs and whisk gently in the middle.  Start bringing the sides of the flour into the centre to mix with the eggs.  When all is combined, place on a well floured surface.  Flour your hands and start kneading the dough.  This will take about 5-10 minutes and is complete when the dough has a shiny surface.  Wrap in cling wrap and place in the fridge for 1/2 hour.  
After 1/2 hour cut into 8 pieces and roll through a pasta machine.  I started on number 6, than went down to 2, but every machine is different.  To make my "rustic" style tortelli I used a circle cutter and used my fingers and a fork to assemble.  You could use a ravioli cutter if you wish!  Simply place one circle in one hand, add some filling, and then fold in half.  Use a little egg wash to help the dough stick together and your fingers to press, and fork to press closed!

To make the filling:  Roast the pumpkin in the oven for 1/2 hour with some salt and pepper (or until cooked).  Then combine all the ingredients together.  

Cook the ravioli in hot boiling water with salt and oil (yes you add oil for fresh homemade pasta) for approximately 4-7 minutes, but this will depend on the thickness of your pasta, so keep your eye on them!!!!  

The sauce really only take 5 minutes to make.  Simply add the butter to the pan, the garlic and whole sage leaves!  I like to fry some sage leaves separately in hot oil to garnish- also to add some crisp!!!!

Serve with freshly grated parmigiano reggiano and black pepper! 

"Buon Appeitto"




No comments:

Post a Comment