“A tavola non si invecchia”. - Italian proverb (At the table with good friends and family you do not become old).

Sharing authentic Italian recipes entrusted upon me through the privilege of being invited into many Italian homes and kitchen’s abroad. I travel, cook, eat, share, learn and photograph my experiences, a truly soul enriching journey. There are now over 100 recipes on this blog to search from. I am a Melbourne born girl who now resides in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sharing my love for food and all things Italian with you. I am not a professionally trained chef, just a person that really loves cooking and has made my passion my reality! Through talent and drive I now work as a private chef in some of the most prestigious private villa`s here in Tuscany, Italy!

Thursday, September 20, 2018

Green sauce- Salsa verde

Anyone that knows me well, will know that I am not one for sauces. In fact I cringe wh I see plates presented over drizzled with sauces. And that applies to desserts too. Shudder!
Actually that has been one of the biggest adjustments moving back to Melbourne, is that most meals are doused in sauce. Even side dishes come presented with a side of dipping sauce. Why? It is so unnecessary and only adds unwanted calories (I even hate that word), and makes for unhealthy choices.
However, if you must add a sauce, this green sauce is exactly what a sauce should be in my humble opinion. It's smooth, fresh and healthy. 
Traditionally used to drizzle over bollito di carne (slow cooked boiled meat) to add last minute freshness, this green sauce is also magical on fish or your favourite carved meat. Depending on the region, some recipes call for bread and egg yolks. However, I omit both opting for quicker and healthier version.
I was first introduced to salsa verde when living with Silvia in Versilia, she would always have a jar of this in the fridge and  it would often make an appearance on the dining table. She would often drizzle it over fish, salad and ripe tomatoes. 
Throughout my working years I was reacquainted with this vibrant sauce, as the lady I worked for was an avid fan. My fridge would always be stocked with a fresh batch! 
What you need (will make about a cup):
One packed cup of flat leaf/Italian parsley 
One teaspoon of colavita capers http://www.basile.com.au
Five delicous anchovy fillets http://www.basile.com.au
Two gloves of homegrown garlic
Juice of one small lemon
1/2 cup of colavita olive oil http://www.basile.com.au
Pinch of salt
How to make:
1: Place all ingredients in a blender and blend to desired consistency. Experiment with favours and personal preference. You may need to add more capers or lemon juice for example!
2: Place in a glass jar and keep in the fridge for about a week. Top with a thin layer of olive oil to retain freshness.
#salsavere #greensauce #italianfood #sauce #cucinaitaliana 

No comments:

Post a Comment